Who We Are
Nearly 150 years ago, two visiting priests discovered a need for Episcopal worship services to be offered. One Sunday morning, in 1866, promptly at 10 am, a local saloon was filled and the Rev R W Trimble led "the full morning service...the responses were hearty, the singing good, and the grand sermon was preached."
In February, two nieces of Major William Gaines, whose famiily gave the lot on which the church now stands, began simple structure on the lot. The first service was held in May 1870. Growth continued and on April 17, 1874, St Luke's was granted Parish status.
In November of 1888, construction began on a new church building across the street from the previous location. The first service was held in December of 1889.
Then, in 1924, a devastating tornado hit Hot Springs on September 19, 1924. St Luke's was completely destroyed, with the exception of the High Altar, which was incorporated into the next and present building. A child, seeing the damage, was heard to say "it's all gone but Jesus." The present church was completed in 1926.
Plans for the present stained glass windows were realized and then, in 1957, a parochial kindergarten was started which grew into St Luke's Episcopal Day School.
St Luke's Episcopal Church remains a place of sanctuary, hope, and healing in the lives of the people of Hot Springs and Garland County. We invite you to come and see.